Have now moved the brewing out of the kitchen after moving house and into the garage its nice having some space. Got the new kit setup, still need a few more bits, not sure the cardboard box holding up the mash tun is the greatest idea but decided to take it for a test run.
As winter is setting in I decided a stout was in order and being the first time i’ve used the new kit I decided to keep it relatively simple, added in some carafa special III as it wasn’t looking as dark as i hoped and had the fear of adding to much roasted barley or chocolate malt had as I didn’t want it to end up to roasty. Went for more of an american stout hop bill.
Had a great brew, bit more dead space under the false bottom in the mash tun (Just under 4L) than I would have liked but still overshot the OG by a few points. Lost barely 1C on a 60min mash, collected 27L after the sparge and ended up with about 22L after a 70min boil, next time will try a collect a few more liters.
Final Volume: 22 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.2% ABV
Mash Efficiency: 70 %
Bitterness: 40 IBU
Colour: 62 EBC
4.500kg Pale Ale Malt
500g Flaked Oats
250g Chocolate Malt
250g Medium Crystal
80g Roasted Barley
80g German Carafa Special III
20g of US Columbus (70 Min From End)
15g of NZ Cascade (15 Min From End)
10g of US Centennial (5 Min From End)
DCL US-05 SafAle
3 Nov – Bottled 15L of this. Put 5L onto 40g of cocoa nib plus half a smoked chipote chille