Been a bit lapse on post so far this year, so far have managed to brew a american wheat hopped with NZ hops which is a session able 3.5% and also my biggest IPA to date with a boat load of mosaic hops, its currently sat dry hopping with 50g of mosaic and another 50g of centennial and smelling amazing, will be bottling this up later in the week.
Before this brew I sent my water off to Murphy and Sons to be analysed as I had started to notice a slight harshness to the bittering in some of my paler ales, as I’ve not had much luck puzzling over my water report I saw this as the easy option.
They recommend that I add 9ml of AMS per 25L of liquor which should help balance my ph and to add 20g of DWB per L of beer to be made which should help balance my ions need to do more reading about water but at least feel like I have made the first step to getting this right.
The beer I brewed is hopefully going to turn out to be a red ale hoping for a nice malty, caramel backbone with a smooth bitterness and then loads of citrus taste, I tried to get most of my IBU’s from adding all but 5g of the hops to the last 20mins of the boil. Pitched a 1.5L starter made from 50ml of yeast skimmed from the top of my IPA and it took off like a rocket. And also upgraded my thermometer to a thermopen which is very fast and more importantly more accurate.
Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5.5% ABV
Bitterness: 40 IBU
Colour: 22 EBC
Marris O Malt 5kg
Munich 1 300g
Pale Chocolate 100g
Bravo 5g First wort hops
Amarillo 10g 20 Min
Cascade 10g 20 min
Amarillo 30g 10 Min
Cascade 30g 10 min
Amarillo 35g 0 Min Steep @ 80c for 20mins
Cascade 35g 0 Min Steep @ 80c for 20mins
20/02/2013 – Dry hopped with 30g of Amarillo
25/02/2013 – bottled with 90g of priming sugar
13/03/2013 – Had a couple of these now, lovely smooth bitterness, dank citrus hop character with a nice bit of caramel in the background. Not as red as I would have liked, but still damm tasty.